February 13, 2007

The Shining - $9

I realize a lot of my reviews have been rated highly lately but I hope you don't take that as a sign that I'm easy to please, the reality is that I've been seeing movies that come highly recommended by trustworthy sources and that usually means I'm in for a good experience. The Shining was no exception.



The Shining leaves little doubt that it is a horror movie but right from the beginning with its scenic and beautiful opening it is clear that this movie sets itself apart from the cookie cutter gore and fright of most movies in this genre.

Set almost entirely in a remote hotel in Colorado called the Overlook, The Shining is the story of the Torrance family who are tasked with looking after the Overlook during the winter when it is shut down for off-season. Jack Torrance, played masterfully by Jack Nicholson, and his wife Wendy believe that this winter at the Overlook will be good for the family as Jack plans to spend the time working on a book he's writing. Danny Torrance, their son, has an ability referred to as "shining" by one of the other characters in the movie. Danny is able to see the future and the past at times and it's clear to him even before they move to the hotel that it has a tragic past and is not a safe place.

The Shining is full of terrifying images as Danny sees and hears things in the hotel while his family is staying there. At the heart of this horror movie though is the transformation of Jack from a caring husband and father to an out of control monster who tries to harm his family.

The Shining is shot with a surprising amount of beautiful cinematography; this movie is full of amazing images, brilliant acting, and a terrifying storyline. The only thing keeping me from giving it a perfect rating is that I don't love the genre, though The Shining is undeniably in a class of its own in the world of horror movies.

I put this movie on my 'Watch It' list and give it a value of $9.

3 comments:

* (asterisk) said...

Good review, Tony. You're absolutely right that The Shining is in a class of its own. "Horror" is too narrow a description for this film. Partly because the horror therein is more than just the usual fare. Great movie.

I assume you watched the 146-min version? Over here, we have the 120-min version. One day I'll buy the US disc...

Sheamus the... said...

i like your rating system...

Tony Tanti said...

asterisk: no doubt "Horror" is too narrow a description. And yes, I did watch the 146 minute version. Have you seen the making-of in the features? It's worth watching.